What is Vulnerability Management?
Vulnerability management is a process that is designed to identify, assess, and prioritize vulnerabilities. It also helps in the planning of risk mitigation measures. that can be implemented to reduce the likelihood and impact of a security incident.
There are many vulnerabilities that can exist in software and hardware systems. When such vulnerabilities exist, they may be exploited by adversaries to create damage. Such attacks may take the form of denial-of-service, data corruption, or theft of data.
Vulnerability management is different from risk management in that it does not necessarily include identification, assessment and prioritization of risks. Vulnerability management is about identifying vulnerabilities (threats), assessing their severity, and implementing strategies to mitigate them.
The Vulnerability Management Process
The vulnerability management process is a set of steps that are taken to identify, assess and remediate vulnerabilities in an organization’s IT infrastructure. It involves strategic planning, risk assessment, penetration testing, patching and software updates.
The objectives of vulnerability management process
- To protect the company from cyber attacks
- Reduce damages and data breaches from threats
- Mitigate the risk of malicious software
- To minimize security risks by identifying vulnerabilities and taking appropriate measures to mitigate them
The vulnerability management process consists of three main phases:
- Vulnerability identification –
The first way is by creating a list of critical and non-critical assets. Critical assets are those that have high impact on the organization’s operation, such as data, software, hardware and people. Non-critical assets are those that have low impact on the organization’s operation such as office supplies and furniture. These lists can then be used to prioritize vulnerabilities according to their level of importance or severity.
- Vulnerability analysis –
The goal of vulnerability analysis is to provide an assessment of the likelihood that a potential vulnerability exists in a system and what kind of attack might exploit it
- Vulnerability remediation – Vulnerability remediation is the process of addressing system security weaknesses.
- The steps include the following:
- Discover: Identify vulnerabilities through testing and scanning.
- Prioritize: Classify the vulnerabilities and assess the risk.
- The steps include the following:
How can you use vulnerability management process to protect your business ?
One of the major parts of vulnerability management is a vulnerability assessment, which tests for holes in one’s defenses.
Vulnerability assessments are a necessary part of securing your business. It tests for holes in defenses by identifying what the company can be attacked, and how. This is important because it can help identify vulnerabilities in a company’s IT infrastructure, system and software to determine which areas need improvement.
How New Technology is Playing a Key Role in the Future of Vulnerability Management
New technology is playing a key role in the future of vulnerability management. The transition from traditional to modern vulnerability management will be driven by the need to reduce cost, improve efficiency, and increase effectiveness.
Technology tools may include vulnerability scanners, intrusion detection systems (IDSs), penetration testing tools, honeypots, etc.
Modern vulnerability management is faster and more efficient than traditional approaches because it relies on automation to identify vulnerabilities. It also uses artificial intelligence-based algorithms that can detect zero-day attacks with high accuracy rates while pinpointing the root cause of an attack within minutes.
How to Detect & Mitigate New Zero-Day Attacks with Automated Software Solutions ?
Zero-Day attacks are the most dangerous type of cyberattacks. They are hard to detect and even harder to mitigate. The only way to protect against Zero-Day attacks is by using automated software solutions that can be updated in real-time.
It is important for organizations and individuals alike to protect themselves from these types of cyberattacks by investing in automated vulnerability management software solutions that can detect and mitigate them before they cause any damage.
Automated vulnerability management software solutions offer businesses an efficient and cost-effective way of securing their networks. AI security tools can be deployed to scan the entire network for vulnerabilities, identifying any potential gaps in your security program. That can detect and mitigate them before they cause any damage.
Some Critical Questions To Ask Before Using a Cloud-based Vulnerability Management Platform
The following are some critical questions that you should ask before using a cloud-based vulnerability management platform:
- What type of vulnerabilities does the platform cover?
- How do I know if I am compliant with the standards?
- Is the platform scalable?
- How much data is stored on the cloud?
- What type of data is stored on the cloud?
- Does the platform provide a clean interface and easy to use dashboard?
- Is there a free trial available for me to test out the service before purchasing it?
3 Ways that Vulnerability Management Protects You From Cyber Attacks
The cyber world has been flooded with vulnerabilities and attacks. In order to protect your business from these attacks, you need to have a vulnerability management strategy in place.
There are three ways that vulnerability management can help you protect your business from cyberattacks:
- Vulnerability assessment – a way of identifying, prioritizing, and remediating vulnerabilities.
- Penetration testing– involves simulating an attack on your network or system in order to find any vulnerabilities that have not been identified by other means.
- Security awareness training– focuses on educating employees about potential cyber threats.